Thursday, August 14, 2008

Nostalgia

They say that the sense of smell triggers the most memories. I would have to agree, though taste runs a close second, especially when you associate it with family recipes. My older daughter and her friend decided to "be domestic" and make some desserts. One of them was a family recipe for "The Best Chocolate Cake Ever". It's a lusciously rich chocolate cake with a touch of cinnamon! We used to have this cake when I was growing up and it was a favorite to take with us on our weekend boat trips when we lived in the Seattle area.

Anyway, I came home and the house smelled delicious and then I had a piece of cake and the wonderful chocolaty/cinnamon flavors just melted on my tongue and make me think of some of the happiest times in my life. Ahhh, childhood! Made me miss my mom, too. She taught me how to make that cake...

No comments: