Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Personal Opinion

This may make me sound like a witch, but I do not see the need to rehash the disappearance of one 17-year-old girl night after night. Greta van Susteren on Fox News has spent an inordinate amount of time going over the same facts about Taylor Behl's disappearance. I feel very sorry for her mother. I can only imagine what she is going through, my oldest daughter is just a year younger than Taylor, but enough is enough. I felt the same way about the Natalee Halloway coverage. If there is a break in the story, by all means, show it, but to spend 15-minute segments talking to a neighbor and another segment grilling her mother, that just isn't necessary.

There is a much bigger story going on right now. There are hundreds of thousands of misplaced people scattered across the country and thousands of them are looking for their children or other family members who were separated from them by the nightmare of Katrina. Now many of those people are being moved once again because of Rita. Wouldn't it be better for Fox News and all the other cable news channels to show the faces of those lost children and loved ones so that the families can be brought back together?

I, for one, would like to see some good things happening in the news rather than the blame game and the political slamming. I know that is a lot to ask, especially of the MSM, one can always hope, though. But that is just my opinion...

2 comments:

GW said...

This nonstop coverage on these individual cases makes me cringe.

I have three children and can pretty well imagine the horror, but I agree that it is overkill, so to speak.

Not to pollute your blog by mentioning his name, but the Michael Jackson coverage was ridiculous, too.

Your suggestion is a good one. The MSM should be useful rather than focus on mostly sensational topics or offer boring blather.

More positive news may be too much to hope for.

Anna said...

MSM and positive news? Isn't that oxymoronic? As far as that once-upon-a-time black boy...I can't believe how much time they spent on him! My husband and I didn't watch news for a while when that was going on! (okay, I watched Brit Hume, John Gibson, and Neil Cavuto!) They are closer to real reporters anyway!

BTW, thanks for all the comments!