Monday, September 19, 2005

An Interesting Quote

Mull this one over. It still applies. Is this because we did not learn from previous mistakes, therefore we were destined to repeat them?

"Repeal that [welfare] law, and you will soon see a change in their manners. St. Monday and St. Tuesday, will soon cease to be holidays. Six days shalt thou labor, though one of the old commandments long treated as out of date, will again be looked upon as a respectable precept; industry will increase, and with it plenty among the lower people; their circumstances will mend, and more will be done for their happiness by inuring them to provide for themselves, than could be done by dividing all your estates among them."

Benjamin Franklin, letter to Collinson, May 9, 1753

4 comments:

Dr. Phat Tony said...

Great quote. Where did ou find it?

Anna said...

Actually, I was looking for a lawyer quote for Ann Althouse's blog and thought I remembered Ben Franklin making a comment about lawyers anyway...I did a search and came up with Marks Quotes-Founding Fathers I couldn't believe it when I read it because it was the topic of conversation in comments on another blog!

Daniel Christianson said...

***Right Thinking Girl Update***

I'm sure your aware of certain unfortunate events of late; I sincerely hope that nothing irreversable has happened!

I did fire an email off to Tinsley (the new blog mistress) yesterday. I do hope everything is alright!

If nothing comes back soon, we better start downloading all of Google's and any other search engines cache's we can get ahold of.

That blog was wonderful and MUST be preserved.

If I don't get a response soon I'm going to send out an emergency blogger call.

GW said...

It would be a bloodbath, but worth it.