Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Conservative Qualities

Beth over at MY Vast Right Wing Conspiracy wants everyone to remember what the conservative message is and what conservatives stand for.

For me, it is smaller government, fewer taxes and government programs, and personal responsibility. I cannot say that I am a staunch Republican because I have some opposing views, but I am definitely more conservative than liberal!

So, what is a conservative?

A patriot: A conservative is proud to fly the flag and proud of our country even when things are not going well. It seems that when the going gets tough, liberals just complain and worry about what other countries will say.

Self reliant: Conservatives do not need government programs to take care of them. They prefer to stand on their own two feet and take responsibility for themselves, including the blame when it is warranted. It is rather amusing that the liberals use the reference of "cowboy" when speaking about George W. Bush, as if it were an insult. What they don't understand is that cowboys are the epitome of self-sufficient, self-reliant, personally responsible, and independent people. How can that be an insult?

These are just two qualities that I think of when I think about conservativism. What does conservative mean to you?

10 comments:

The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Well said, Anna.
I'm from Ohio, too.
Stop by my site if you get a chance!
Cheers! :)

Anna said...

Thank you, Conservative UAW Guy. I appreciate the compliment. I will definitely check out your site!

Anna said...

I especially appreciate the "well said" comment because I was feeling pretty "scattered" when I wrote it!
Anna

The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Heh.
No problem.

Dr. Phat Tony said...

I'm a conservative because I don't like to smell bad and take showers regularly. I also don't own a che guevara t-shirt. I only like the dead terrorists. Diversity to me means a variety of animals on my dinner plate. These are all pretty good reasons I can call myself conservative.

Chris said...

GBfan says being a conservative means wanting the goverment to pave my roads and defend my shores other than that leave me the ____ alone.

I like Ohio too because OSU covered last week lol

Regards,
GBfan

John Stansbury said...

I'M NOT BETH!!! don't worry, I get that a lot.

anyways, you're doing exactly what I hope I'm doing with the series. make you you think about what you believe. the reason why liberalism is so easy to define is because you just do whatever comes easy. being a conservative takes effort, and since some people are too lazy to examine what they believe, they continue on the path of least resistance, and wonder why their life doesn't go anywhere.

GW said...

For me, some of the most important components of conservatism are: emphasis on personal responsibility; use of logic over emotion; embrace of moral objectivism rather than moral relativism; adherence to the rule of law, not the rule of men.

Anna said...

Lordy, MacStansbury, I'm sorry! I'll get it straight the next time, I promise! I am glad that I did understand what you were looking for with your series.

It really did get me thinking and I don't mind being called a cowboy at all (and no, I don't have to be called a cowgirl!)

Anna said...

I was looking at some of the pictures from Saturdays rally and sure enough there were a lot of unshowered, unshaved hippie-types! EEwww!

I don't want the government messing with me much either and I truly believe that people (especially the left) need to be responsible for their own words and actions!